Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Beginning...

Well, this is my first post on my blog. Welcome! My name is Chantel and I'm currently in my last term of graduate school earning my Master of Arts in Teaching. When I'm done I'll be certified in both middle and high school art. I'm starting this blog for a class project, and at first I wasn't even sure I wanted a blog, because I didn't think I had anything interesting to say and I was worried about having personal information on the web because well....I have to be professional as a teacher. After thinking about what I want to say, who I'd want to read it, and who I'd write it for, I decided to dedicate my blog to art education. I'll discuss and present anything art or education related. That means lesson plans I've made, found, or been given, fun craft projects for art day camp classes (which I taught for two years) or just for fun, personal art I'm making, art events locally in Oregon, educational sites, classroom tools I've made in my grad classes, education theory discussions, and useful links for teachers (art or otherwise).

So I'm dedicating this blog to all those under appreciated art teachers out there. The teachers that encourage experimentation and risks, the teachers that stay after school so students can use the supplies they couldn't otherwise afford, the teachers that donate their own pencils and brushes when the class runs out, the ones that put their own art aside to teach others for a while, and who are constantly trying to wash paint (or is it printmaking ink?) out of their new khakis. I'm inspired by all the teachers I've met, and wish that I could someday be half the teacher they are. I hope this blog can be a resource for some of you, and maybe a way to feel that you aren't so alone in your subject as I sometimes feel (only art specialty in my whole cohort). I hope to hear some of your stories, and if you ever come to a Portland First Thursday gallery opening you might run into me. I'll be the debt laden new teacher in the corner drinking the free wine and putting rolls in my purse.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment